Mooie noot over Paleo

G

Troubleshooting: Is it Paleo?

Waarbij de schrijfster ingaat op het uitgangspunt van Paleo en ze heel veel rakelings over Weston Price schrijft. O.a. over rauwe melk en over de leefstijl van onze 'voorouders' t.o.v. The Cavemen.

Niet dat het moet, maar er is geen reactie geweest op dit artikel. Heeft iemand het gelezen?

Eerst dacht ik dat ik deze over het hoofd had gezien, dus zojuist op de link geklikt. En toen bedacht ik me waarom ik hier nog niet op had gereageerd: de pagina laadt niet. Dat deed-ie een maand geleden niet en nu opnieuw niet.

Mike

http://cavegirleats.com/2012/06/10/troubleshooting-is-it-paleo/

Als hij niet opend in internet explorer open hem dan in google chrome of opera etc.

Ja ik heb het net gelezen. Grappig hoe hij verteld over hoe Paleo nu zo'n hype is.

Een goed stuk..

Mike bij internet opties verwijder tijdelijke bestanden, cookies etc..

Hé Mike,

Ik heb het gecopieerd, misschien kan je hem zo lezen:

Jolanda

Troubleshooting: Is it “Paleo?”

By Liz (@CaveGirlEats) on June 10, 2012in Fat Soluble Vitamins, Good Dairy-Bad Dairy?, Paleo/Primal/Ancestral Foods

I get this question in one form or another quite often. Those who are new to this lifestyle (Welcome!) as well as the Old Hats are often perplexed by a few things – like why we all seem so obsessed with things like butter, tequila, and dark chocolate. (Today’s about butter. I’ll get to the tequila and dark chocolate eventually.)

We’ve all been there – if you’ve asked yourself these questions, you’re not alone!

Today I set about putting your mind at ease. I’m going to rub some coconut oil on your worries. (Then, I’m going to douse them in lime juice and soda water, add tequila, and we’re all gonna have a Paleo party.)

. . .

I tend to combine the three food/lifestyle principles “Paleo,” “Primal,” and “Ancestral,” because they’re all concerned with one thing: optimizing health using the most nutrient-dense, nutrient-available foods possible.

Simple, right? Yet somehow, that idea scares the frog-flipping daylights out of folks. It sure freaked the loincloth-loving heck outta me. What could I eat? What could I NOT eat? Where were the cookies?

Here’s the thing: we’ve been conditioned to want a set of rigid rules for improving our bodies and our lives.

◦Food (X) is “allowed,” Food (Y) is “not allowed.”

◦Food (X) is “good,” Food (Y) is “bad.”

◦Eat this; don’t eat that!

Unfortunately, this mind-set can perpetuate the On-Wagon, Off-Wagon behavior that’s been ingrained in our minds since we were young. It can also perpetuate the idea that there’s a set wildly varying Diet Rules for everybody, from people who like math (coughZoneDietcough) to chicks who like to drink their dinner.

“I like parties! Tell me what to eat...Then help me find the back of my dress."

(Truly, there IS one decent, overarching prescription for everyone: Eat Real Food. Of course, there are intricacies to that too. Which is why I’m writing this post.)

Many of us fell into that obsessive, old-school Diet-minded trap at when we went “Paleo.” We immediately sought the rules list that would guide us to miraculous changes in body and health, without necessarily understanding why we were making these new choices. That’s what I did, and that’s OK. It’s a great start, especially since it means eliminating processed, boxed, bagged or encapsulated Junk Food (yep, even the 40-30-30 kind). But living in that place – in that catalog of “approved” foods – doesn’t enrich the journey much.

And we find ourselves asking:

Is Butter “Paleo?” (Furthermore, is butter a carb?)

Is Dark Chocolate OK?

Is Kombucha “approved?”

Unconsciously, maybe we want a wagon to fall off of – because that’s what we know. It’s that toxic “Diet” mentality. And I’m here to tell you – it’s bullshit. There are no hard-and-fast “rules.” There is only information and choices. Yes, it’s true that certain foods are nourishing and others simply aren’t. But a list of yes/no rules without an understanding of the “why” means somebody else is still bossing you around. And this lifestyle is about informed self-determination – not blind execution of somebody else’s trademarked Rules.

Information and enlightenment are easily accessible – start by reading The Paleo Solution, The Primal Blueprint, and Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. These are thought-provoking, straight-shooting, reason-providing, perfect texts to get things rolling.

. . .

In a way, I blame the fat-phobia/low-fat craze of the 80’s and 90’s, as well as the Veg@n fad, for making us think that health and well-being depend solely on the total elimination of certain Demonic Natural Things.* Animal fat is bad. Animal protein is bad. Rules. Yes/No. Good/Bad. Unfortunately, it’s not always that simple. Time Magazine was wrong in demonizing cholesterol, and T. Colin Campbell was wrong in demonizing animal protein. (He was also wrong about a host of other things, but I’ll stop there.)

*Yes, most of us choose to eliminate grains (’cause they’re processed well beyond their “natural” state, duh) and other Modern Processed Foods, but that’s certainly not in the same camp as eliminating naturally-occurring foods – like animal products – that have been part of healthy humans’ diets for millenia AND, unlike grains, contain the bio-available nutrients we need to thrive.

This “Paleo” concept is different. It’s about living well, not being bound by odd, counter-intuitive, or nit-picky rules (violations of which are punished with 40 lashes with a gluten-free noodle). Yes, there are guiding principles, but if you’re really taking control of your own life, you’ll use them as a framework and not prison bars. (Free Willy Will, right?) Paleo principles are useful. They’re rules-of-thumb. They’re easy guidelines to help you as you get to know your body on Real Food rather than Fake Fuel.

Here’s the thing: many of us look at the “Paleo” lifestyle as if it were a re-enactment of the past. If Cave Men didn’t eat it, we can’t eat it. Tie a bow, put the present under the tree, and stop there. Unfortunately, there are flaws in that line of thinking; not the least of which is that tendency to narrow food choices to the stuff we’re already comfortable with (like, say, chicken, broccoli, and coconut oil) rather than looking at the nutrients we now understand were – and continue to be – critical to human health.

(Never mind the fact that Cave Men would’ve eaten anything had it been available. They weren’t concerned with staying “lean” or getting “thin.” Calories meant stored energy to tap in times of shortage and famine. And we have no shortage of supply in the modern world. But that’s a post for another day.)

If I may point out the obvious: showers, automobiles, facebook, and even the modern grass-fed cow aren’t “Paleo.” The modern chicken isn’t “Paleo.” The modern carrot isn’t “Paleo.” The modern Mango isn’t “Paleo.” None of those things existed alongside our prehistoric ancestors – they’re all products of the forward-motion (some might call it “evolution”) of our world. And we depend on those things.

So FORGET the historical re-enactment. Use the lessons of the past to inform your choices in the present. That’s what the “Paleo” concept is all about.

What we know of our ancestors – whether we’re talking Cave Men or more recent, healthy, native cultures, is that they valued the most nutrient-dense foods above all others. They valued organ meats, bone marrow, fish organs and eggs, and mineral-rich, fat-filled, cholesterol-dense foods because those foods carried the greatest nutrient density. Those foods kept them alive, fertile, and healthy.

These cultures didn’t know why these foods were best. They just knew they were. Another huge difference between us and Paleo Man: we have the ability to figure that stuff out. We know where the nutrients are. (And where they’re not.)

They’re in animal products (especially the “odd bits”), seafood (especially the “fishy parts”), and healthy, natural fats. To a lesser degree, they’re in vegetables, roots, tubers, and fruits.

. . .

So what about this question:

“I thought Dairy wasn’t ‘Paleo.’ Why are you eating butter?” (As a corollary to that question, folks often wonder “where will I get calcium?”)

So here’s my answer.

I eat butter because it’s FREAKING DELICIOUS. And it’s nutrient-dense. And it’s delicious.

Paleo man didn’t eat the same stuff I eat. Paleo man didn’t eat Angus beef, which has a history of just a few hundred years as we know it. Paleo man didn’t eat beefsteak tomatoes – hell, he didn’t even eat heirloom tomatoes. Their meat was different. Their forage was different. What does that mean to us? It means we gotsta think.

No, Cave Men didn’t make butter. They were likely more preoccupied with staying alive than with domesticating wild animals, milking them, and churning their milk into delicious, creamy, buttery goodness to put atop their roasted sweet potato. So, no – Cavemen didn’t eat dairy as we know it today.

Healthy, traditional, native cultures – like those studied by Dr. Weston A. Price – did eat butter. And milk. And cream. And cheese.

How do we connect those dots?

With a perspective beyond the “dos” and “don’ts.” Yes, folks – we’re gonna get hung up on the details. (Remember when being detail-oriented was considered a good thing?)

. . .

First off, let’s get one thing straight: Modern, factory-farmed, pasteurized, homogenized dairy is likely garbage. This is most of what you find at the store. And, by my observation, it’s most of what’s been studied to be detrimental to humans.

That’s vastly different from raw, grass-fed, full-fat, 100% pastured dairy (I’ll call it “RGFFF100PP” for short) from animals eating their natural diet. Learn more about Raw Milk here.

RGFFF100PP dairy from animals eating their natural diet is nutrient-dense (thanks, science!) and filled with fat-soluble vitamins (FSVs) like A, D, and K2.

Remember what I said before?

What we know of our ancestors, whether we’re talking Cave Men or more recent, healthy, native cultures, is that they valued the most nutrient-dense foods above all others.

RGFFF100PP dairy from animals eating their natural diet IS nutrient-dense. And those nutrients are in the dairy fat (the butter). Many people swear by its healing properties. Yes, cow’s milk is for baby cows. Yes, milk is cow boob juice. But us top-o’-the-food-chainers have a long history of consuming the various emissions and in-to-out contents of the animals we eat. Just read this book for a whole chapter on recipes using Milk, Eggs, and Sperm.

It’s modern dairy that causes problems. It’s the skim milk we once poured over Fruity Krunchy Pebble Smackers. It’s the Ultra-Pasteurized White Water we once chugged with trans-fat and gluten-filled cookies. It’s the part-skim pre-shredded mozzarella we once ate in our stuffed-crust pizzas.

Many of the nutrients found in RGFFF100PP dairy – and the nutrients we sought as we evolved – are the same nutrients found in liver, bone marrow, and the fermented contents of animals’ intestinal tracts. Are you gonna eat those things every day?

Probably not. So where ya gonna get ‘em?

. . .

In my opinion, optimizing a Paleo-style plan means seeking those ancestral nutrients. Too often we get stuck in a Chicken-broccoli-coconut-oil-is-Paleo/All-dairy-is-bad existence, and we miss out on those nutrients that were truly responsible for keeping people healthy throughout history.

Interestingly, gut bacteria actually produce Butyrate, a fatty acid also FOUND IN BUTTER, from soluble-fiber carbohydrate (like, for example, sweet potato). You’re gonna get your butter, by hook or by crook.

Stephan Guyenet, PhD, writes about some of the amazing properties of Butyrate here.

Gut Flora: Butter Believers?

I’ll go so far as to say that vitamins A, D and K2 are still deficient in many “Paleo-style” diets, and folks NEED to seek them deliberately and enthusiastically, whether through organ meats, RGFFF100PP dairy, or a blend of Butter Oil and Cod Liver Oil. (I ONLY recommend this stuff. And I’m not paid to do it.)

There are many food intolerances at work in many folks, even to Paleo-friendly foods like eggs or nightshades, so if you don’t tolerate dairy, don’t eat it. Your call. You may find that clarified butter or ghee (butter with all milk solids removed) is tolerated just fine. Whether you incorporate dairy or not, get those FSVs from somewhere. Chicken, broccoli and coconut oil ain’t gonna cut it.

The Paleo lifestyle is one of deep thought, continued learning, and context. In a way, that sucks – we want an easy, rules-based existence. We want a simple Label with simple Laws. And, in a way, this is simple: Eat the most nutrient-dense, nutrient-available foods possible. Eat a variety of them (ie, don’t give up all other sources of nutrition in favor of dairy just ’cause some Cave Girl said it was ok).

Use the lessons of the past to inform your choices in the present.

Eat unprocessed foods - animals, seafood, veggies, roots, tubers, healthy fats, and “traditional foods” when you can. Keep the crap off your body too. Have fun with it.

Did you make it this far? If so, leave a comment. Are you a Butter Believer? Have YOU written on this topic? If so, please share!

Bedankt hiervoor! Ik heb het gelezen en ik ben blij dat ik dat gedaan heb. Dit is een mooi citaat:

Quote:
There are no hard-and-fast “rules.” There is only information and choices. Yes, it’s true that certain foods are nourishing and others simply aren’t. But a list of yes/no rules without an understanding of the “why” means somebody else is still bossing you around. And this lifestyle is about informed self-determination – not blind execution of somebody else’s trademarked Rules.

Ik merk dit ook regelmatig op bij forumleden hier en heb al eens eerder het volgende geschreven:

Quote:
Zojuist heb ik ook nog iemand geprobeerd duidelijk te maken dat je uit moet gaan van principes en geen formules en dat je binnen die principes je eigen, persoonlijke weg moet vinden op basis van vrijheid van bewustzijn, oftewel: vrije wil. Dit wordt ons van jongs af aan afgeleerd door onze ouders en leerkrachten en later door onze collega's, onze bazen, onze doktoren, etc. Mensen maken dingen vaak veel te moeilijk omdat ze maar blijven vragen, vragen, vragen. Die vragen ontstaan in het hoofd, het antwoord zit in je 'onderbuik', je wist het al die tijd al, als je maar niet in je hoofd zit. Dit zou wel eens het woord 'koppig' kunnen verklaren!

En het volgende:

Quote:
Hetzelfde met voeding. Je hoort dan: Geef mij een dagmenu, een weekmenu. Met andere woorden: red mij, ik ben hulpeloos. We stellen ons afhankelijk op van anderen aan wie wij autoriteit verlenen i.p.v. de wijsheid in onszelf te zoeken. Deze zit opgeslagen in je genen, een overlevering van al je voorouders! Je zou kunnen beginnen door volwaardige, minimaal bewerkte varianten te eten van wat je nu eet, dan heb je al ontzettend veel gewonnen. Men denkt dat het allemaal vreselijk ingewikkeld is, maar het is juist verrassend simpel: eet volledig en volwaardig voedsel. Dan hoor je: ja, maar wat dan? Ik zeg dan: wat jij lekker vindt. Mensen zijn vaak ontredderd als ze op zichzelf worden teruggeworpen, maar ik weiger om een goeroe-rol aan te nemen.

Ik moest ook denken aan dit citaat van Weston Price:

Quote:
Het maakt niet uit wat de bron van mineralen en vitamines is, zolang de hoeveelheid maar voldoende is.

De auteur van het stuk geeft terecht aan dat om die reden rauwmelkse zuivel van grasgevoerde dieren ook prima is. Verder geeft ze heel terecht aan dat je je eigen weg moet zoeken en je niet afhankelijk moet opstellen van regels die je vertellen wat je wel of niet moet of mag doen. Ben blij dat ik dit gelezen heb!

Mike

Leuk artikel! Inderdaad: wat we nu ook eten, het is toch nooit zoals het 100 of 1000 jaar geleden was. We moeten ons gezonde verstand gebruiken en voedsel eten met VOEDINGSwaarde.

Ik vond het daarom al zo raar dat er na 1 maand nog niemand iets over gezegd had.

Ik ben dus ook blij dat ik het topic nog maar eens naar boven heb gehaald.

In het kader hiervan nog een citaat van mijzelf:

Quote:
Ons wordt van jongs af aan geleerd om niet op onze eigen wijsheid te vertrouwen maar op die van zgn. 'experts'. Maar experts bouwden de Titanic en amateurs de Ark! De Indianen zagen dit vreemde gedrag van blanken met lede ogen aan en noemden het 'geleende kennis'. Zij zagen het als een teken van krankzinnigheid en gingen zelf uit van geleefde kennis. Dat het daadwerkelijk een teken van krankzinnigheid is, blijkt wel uit wat blanken de Indianen hebben aangedaan.

Dit syteem creeert gesloten geesten. Hoe meer je ze probeert te overtuigen hoe meer ze zich van je afzetten. Wie ben jij wel dat je denkt het beter te weten dan mensen die ervoor hebben gestudeerd? Als het allemaal zo slecht was, zou de overheid er allang iets aan gedaan hebben. Logisch boerenverstand kent een gesloten geest niet, want deze geeft de verantwoordelijkheid uit handen, als een klein kind. De basis van een gesloten geest is angst en stress, waardoor kennis en verantwoordelijkheid worden gezien als een bedreiging i.p.v. een kans.

Mike

Iets andere noot over Paleodieet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BMOjVYgYaG8#!

Published on Feb 12, 2013
Quote:
TED Fellow Christina Warinner is an expert on ancient diets. So how much of the diet phad the "Paleo Diet" is based on an actual Paleolithic diet? The answer is not really any of it.

Dr. Christina Warinner has excavated around the world, from the Maya jungles of Belize to the Himalayan mountains of Nepal, and she is pioneering the biomolecular investigation of archaeological dental calculus (tartar) to study long-term trends in human health and diet. She is a 2012 TED Fellow, and her work has been featured in Wired UK, the Observer, CNN.com, Der Freitag, and Sveriges TV. She obtained her Ph.D. from Harvard University in 2010, specializing in ancient DNA analysis and paleodietary reconstruction.

Ik heb het bekeken en ben totaal niet overtuigd! Haar argument dat we vandaag de dag selectief gekruiste plantaardige etenswaren eten klopt, maar dan denk ik: so what? Eigenlijk spreekt ze haar argument tegen dat de vroege mens veel plantaardige voeding at, want ze toont aan hoe giftig planten werkelijk zijn! Bovendien zijn we ge-evolueerd op basis van ons intellect en dat heeft ertoe geleid dat we nu beter verteerbare en minder giftige plantaardige voedingsmiddelen hebben dan voorheen. Natuurlijk is de moderne versie van het 'Paleo-dieet' gebaseerd op producten uit de moderne landbouw en veehouderij, maar nogmaals: so what?

Het gaat nl. totaal niet wat je eet, als alle voedingsstoffen er maar in zitten! Vraag jezelf ook af waarom de vroege mens zoveel energie besteedde aan de jacht. Volgens deze mevrouw zouden ze jagen op kleine dieren en mager vlees eten. Hiertoe rekent ze ook orgaanvlees en merg, dat in werkelijkheid moddervet is! Waarom zouden vroege mensen grottekeningen van de jacht op grote prooidieren hebben gemaakt als ze zoveel planten aten? Waarom zijn er zoveel beestenbotten gevonden in grotten?

Bovendien heeft ze totaal geen flauw idee van wat het Paleo-dieet werkelijk inhoudt en waar het eigenlijk voor staat! Ze geeft een totaal verkeerde voorstelling van zaken, want Paleo is een OMNIVOOR voedingspatroon en gaat dus niet alleen uit van een hoge consumptie van dierlijke voeding, maar bevat daarnaast ook veel plantaardige voeding. Haar vergelijking van de suikerconsumptie van de moderne mens en die van de vroege mens raakt kant noch wal, want de Paleo's zijn totaal ANTI-SUIKER! Verder noemt ze tomaten en wijst erop dat deze behoren tot de uiterst giftige nachtschadefamilie. Precies de reden waarom nachtschades ook niet thuishoren in het Paleo-dieet! Welke 'mythes' wil ze hier precies ontkrachten?

In de Wise Traditions van de WAPF lees ik ook wel eens dat ook de vroege mens wel degelijk bij tijd en wijle granen at, maar het is natuurlijk pas echt fout gegaan toen we ENORME HOVEELHEDEN zetmeelrijk graan zijn gaan eten a.g.v. akkerbouw! Bovendien ontleent ze deze data aan de TANDSTEEN die ze aantreffen op het gebit van bijv. Neandertalers. Kan dus nooit goed geweest zijn voor ze, die granen!

Ten slotte is er nog het onderzoek van Price, waaruit blijkt dat de 14 natuurvolkeren inderdaad heel uiteenlopende voedingspatronen hadden, gebaseerd op het klimaat en het ecosysteem waarin ze zich bevonden, maar dat de grote gemene deler een HOGE INNAME VAN VETOPLOSBARE VITAMINES was UIT DIERLIJKE BRON (vit. A, D en K zijn DIERLIJK)! Kortom, ik ben totaal niet onder de indruk van de zwetsverhalen van deze dame. Aan de ene kant vertelt ze ons dat de vroege mens meer vegetarier was dan vleeseter, aan de andere kant vertelt ze ons dat wilde plantaardige voeding grotendeels oneetbaar en giftig was. Hoe valt dit met elkaar te rijmen?

Mike

Mike,

Quote:
Waarom zouden vroege mensen grottekeningen van de jacht op grote prooidieren hebben gemaakt als ze zoveel planten aten?

Misschien is het eten van planten niet spannend genoeg om te tekenen.

Een succesvolle jacht op een paar buffels, was dat denkelijk wel.

Het vraagt moed om met een speer, op een buffel af te gaan, want zo`n dier is een enorme krachtpatser.

Ik denk dat van twee dode buffels, een stam dagenlang kon eten.

En ja, ik kan me voorstellen, dat een goed stuk buffelvlees meer voldoening geeft, dan een paar besjes en bramen.

Maar die tekeningen zeggen mij niet dat dat ze meer vlees dan plantaardig aten.

Die stam had denkelijk een tijdelijke verblijfplaats. Een kamp waar ze bleven, zolang er genoeg eten te vinden was.

De besjes, bramen en appels groeiden wel, en het vlees liep voorbij.

Misschien waren er wel tijden dat er langdurig geen kudde vlees voorbijkwam.

En dat de jagers na dagenlang onderweg te zijn geweest, geen kudde hebben kunnen vinden.

Ja, en als je dan toch een keer een kudde vind, en een paar dieren weet te doden, is het feest, en als je dan in een feeststemming bent, ga je dan tekeningen maken over het eten van planten, die je zonder veel moeite kon plukken?

Ik wil je stelling niet onderuithalen, en evenmin lastig zijn, maar dit is mijn antwoord op je vraag, waarom mensen tekeningen van de jacht op prooidieren gemaakt hebben.

Nu ik deze gedachte hier toch aan je ventileer, hoop ik dat je ook een verklaring hebt voor je stelling dat de mensen de ijstijden moesten overleven.

Het zal toch niet zo geweest zijn dat de gehele aardbol in ijstijd was?

Nu hebben we toch ook koude en warme plekken op aarde? Was dat vroeger niet zo?

Graag jouw visie.

Forum statistieken

Onderwerpen
Leden
Nieuwste lid
RobertApank
Word vaste donateur van dit forum
Terug
Bovenaan