Reageer op: Prikkelbare/lekkende darm

Forum Forums Stel jezelf even voor Prikkelbare/lekkende darm Reageer op: Prikkelbare/lekkende darm

evertyankees1
Bijdrager

Dit is een mooi voorbeeld dat het boek antwoord geef op een van mijn vragen:

Candida Overgrowth

Many people come to GAPS struggling over the question of whether to implement an anti-Candida diet or GAPS. Struggle no more! For most people, GAPS as presented heals an overgrowth of Candida—a yeast that is a healthy and necessary part of our internal ecosystem, but which can trigger frustrating symptoms when overgrown. The GAPS program as presented—especially with short-term adherence to early Intro—addresses this, just as it does numerous other imbalances. That is, many people will experience dramatically reduced Candida numbers even while eating moderate amounts of GAPS’ honey, fruits, sugary veggies, and nuts as complements to the program’s primary foods. Early in my SCD/GAPS journey, I completed a self-test for Candida overgrowth. Distributed by Yeast Buster, the questionnaire invited me to assign a score to each of a long list of symptoms. A total of 80 points indicates a “severe” overgrowth. I initially scored a whopping 200. Within eight weeks of starting the SCD, my numbers had dropped to 25 (indicating that overgrowth was unlikely at that point)—I was indeed feeling very well.

If after a few months on the program—including a round of Intro and all of GAPS’ daily detoxification steps, such as daily bowel movements—you intuit that a more aggressive approach is required, you might opt to limit or avoid GAPS’ fruit, honey, and sweet vegetables. (It will not be possible, or necessary, to completely avoid all sources of sugars, so don’t worry about minute amounts in foods or supplements.) In terms of the vegetables, this means removing beets, carrots, orange-fleshed squashes (e.g., butternut), and sweet onions. Copious vegetables and fruits continue to be available to you, most of which can be eaten well-cooked, raw, or anywhere in between. These include French artichoke, asparagus, avocado, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celeriac, celery, collard greens, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, yellow (i.e., not “sweet”) onions, parsley, peas, bell peppers, spinach, non-sweet squash (e.g., spaghetti), string beans, tomatoes, watercress, and zucchini.

Probiotics, and the friendly yeasts in kefir, will also do wonders. These will be critical to introduce. The natural antifungal properties of coconut oil, starting with 5 mL (1 teaspoon) and working up slowly, can also have profound effects.

After all of these have been incorporated for at least three months, you might also consider implementing a course of S. boulardii, a friendly yeast that knocks out then mops the floor with Candida (see the Progressing Further section of this Guide).

If oral thrush persists, after each meal and just before bed put a quarter of your daily dose of probiotic (homemade or powder) onto your tongue and allow it to dissolve and rest in the mouth.

Finally, be sure to check Dr. Campbell-McBride’s FAQ document for additional tips. If further support is required, see this Guide’s section Progressing Further for additional antifungal options and more.